10 Reasons You Should Be Using Vitamin C in Your Routine
If you’re serious about your skincare routine, you’ve most likely heard of vitamin C serums. Vitamin C is praised as one of the best anti-aging ingredients on the market, and is the key to maintaining a smooth, even, and radiant complexion. Even if you think you’re getting enough Vitamin C in your diet, there’s little chance it will have the same great benefits on your skin. Using serums and other topical products is the most direct way to reap these benefits. Want to learn 12 ways how Vitamin C can do wonders for your skin? Keep on reading.
Why You Should Implement This Powerhouse Ingredient
- Safe for most skin types: Vitamin C is known for being safe to use on most skin types. Most people can use topical vitamin C for an extended period of time without experiencing any adverse reactions. In rare cases, people who have hypersensitive skin may experience minor irritation. Vitamin C is also safe to use in combination with other skin care products.
- It’s hydrating: Magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, one of the main vitamin C derivatives used in skin care, has been shown to have a hydrating effect on skin. It allows your skin barrier to retain more moisture.
- It’s brightening: Vitamin C can help fade pigmentation, acne scars, blemishes and the like, and smooth the skin’s surface to brighten the complexion. This gives skin a youthful glow.
- Reduces redness and evens out your skin tone: Vitamin C has also been shown to treat a huge variety of inflammatory skin conditions. Minimizing redness can create a more even complexion.
- Fades hyperpigmentation: Hyperpigmentation such as sun spots, age spots, and melasma happen when melanin is overproduced in certain areas of the skin. It can also happen in areas where acne has healed. Vitamin C application has been shown to impede melanin productionTrusted Source. This can help fade dark spots and lead to a more even-toned complexion.
- Reduces the appearance of under eye circles: This skincare active can help smooth out fine lines by plumping and hydrating the under eye area. It can help fade discoloration associated with under eye circles, giving your eyes a more well rested look.
- Promotes collagen production: Vitamin C is beloved for boosting collagen production. Collagen is a natural protein found in your body, and its production is tied to skin elasticity and firmness. When your collagen levels begin to drop, your skin may become less firm than usual.
- Protects against sun damage: When you’re out in the sun, free radicals can cause extremely harmful damage to your skin, causing sunspots and wrinkles. Vitamin C is rich in antioxidants, which protect healthy skin cells by rendering free radicals harmless.
- Soothes sunburns: In addition to minimizing redness, vitamin C accelerates cell turnover. This replaces the damaged cells with healthy new ones to reveal brighter, more even skin tone.
- It boosts healing in the skin: Given its effects on sunburn, it should be no surprise that Vitamin C application can speed up overall wound healing. This reduces the risk for any inflammation, infection, and scarring. Be careful not to use Vitamin C on open or inflamed skin!
Using Your Serum
Although Vitamin C is generally safe for most skin types, all skin products have the potential to give you an allergic reaction. You should always do a patch test to assess your risk for allergic reaction. Apply some of the Vitamin C serum on the inside of your wrist and wait 24 hours. If there is no reaction, then proceed with applying to your face.
Vitamin C serum is typically applied once or twice per day. A good rule of thumb is to cleanse, tone, apply vitamin C serum, moisturize and apply SPF. It can be safely used with other active ingredients, although use alongside retinol or niacinamide it is less effective. Remember to always apply sunscreen if you are using any skincare actives such as Vitamin C, as you will be more sensitive to the sun.
Vitamin C can help heal blemishes, reduce hyperpigmentation, and give your skin an incredible glow. Consistency is key for maximum effect, so add it to your routine in a way that works best for you. Some people apply it in the morning to take advantage of its UV protectant properties, while others find that it works best as a night serum. Start using this powerful ingredient in your regimen for the skin you’ve always dreamed of!
Contact Sculpt CosMedics for all your beauty needs today!